Established in 2001, Stichting HIV Monitoring (SHM) contributes to improving the quality of HIV medical care in the Netherlands. SHM works together with the 24 HIV treatment centres in the Netherlands to collect high-quality, coded data from more than 20,000 people living with HIV who are under medical care. Based on analyses of these nationwide data, we publish an annual monitoring report that summarises essential findings regarding the course of the infection in adults and children, the efficacy of antiretroviral treatment and associated side effects, non-infectious comorbidities and co-infection with viral hepatitis B and C. Our monitoring reports provide an important benchmark for the quality of HIV care in the Netherlands. Furthermore, through participation in international studies, we also make an important contribution to the knowledge about the course of the HIV/AIDS epidemic and the impact of treatment not only in Europe, but the rest of the world. Within our data analysis, reporting and research unit, we are looking to recruit a PhD candidate ideally with epidemiology training and experience or a clinical epidemiologist. This person will work on a project aimed at acquiring new insights in the different steps of the HIV cascade of care.
Key responsibilities · Carry out analyses and describe the results of these analyses in an accessible and clinically relevant manner;
· Conduct clinical epidemiological and, possibly, methodological research. Present the findings of this research at national and international conferences, and publish the findings in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
· A university degree in medicine/biomedical sciences and/or clinical epidemiology;
· Experience in processing and analysing datasets obtained from longitudinal observational (population) cohorts;
· Demonstrated affinity with, and knowledge of, HIV, viral hepatitis and/or noncommunicable and ageing-related diseases;
· Demonstrated experience in carrying out longitudinal data analysis, causal modelling and survival analysis;
· Experience in using SAS (preferred), R, and/or Stata, and possibly also C/C++ or Matlab;
· Excellent command of English and Dutch, both spoken and written;
· Proven ability/track record of medical-scientific writing and presentation in both Dutch and English;
· Excellent communication and presentation skills, in both Dutch and English;
· A pro-active attitude, willing to take initiative;
· Works well in a collaborative environment.
Position within the organisation
The PhD candidate will work under the day to day supervision of employees from the data analysis, reporting and research unit who have individual-specific expertise and affinity in the field of epidemiology, statistics, mathematical modelling of HIV and modelling of transmission networks. This person will be joined by a large number of PhD candidates at the Amsterdam UMC who are also involved in infectious disease research.
What does we offer
This is a dynamic position for 40 hours a week. The salary is commensurate with the required qualifications and experience. SHM also offers excellent primary and secondary terms of employment. As a PhD candidate at the University of Amsterdam you will alos be enrolled at the the doctoral school of Amsterdam UMC. (https://amsterdamumc.org/ en/education/phd-student.htm)
Our office is located in Amsterdam, close to the Amsterdam University medical centers, location AMC, and is easy to reach by public transport or car.